Fuji Spray gun is a well-known and advanced painting machine. It is the best product of a North American manufacturer company. It builds self-reliant low-pressure spray systems. Fuji supplies HVLP tan spraying equipment in the market.
Fuji has built HVLP spray guns and set a high standard for the industry. It offers a top brand of products to meet the needs of the professional DIYer. All the painters and newbies use these guns to complete their projects.
It is not difficult to use these guns. You just need to learn the basic techniques of how to use the Fuji HVLP spray gun practically.
For this, no professional training is required, because it is very simple and easy. If you read this article in detail you will surely come to know how to paint with a Fuji HVLP spray gun.
This article will help you to understand the method to set up the parts of the Fuji HVLP spray gun, its using techniques, and cleaning guns after use.
How To Adjust Fuji Hvlp Spray Gun?
First of all, it is necessary to know how to adjust the Fuji HVLP spray gun, to use it for spraying paint smoothly and easily.
The success of your spraying paint depends on the right adjustment of your gun.
- #1: Make sure, there should be no paint in the hose of the gun because it supplies warm air to the HVLP spray gun. If the paint remains there, it does not work properly.
- #2: For installing the hose rightly, you should thread the hose onto the turbine unit. First tighten the unit with fingers, then ¼ turn with a wrench.
- #3: There is an inline air valve with a turbine system that allows airflow. So try to adjust the valve just under the gun.
- #4: The hose is flexible at about six feet long, and more moveable than the hose of the main air supply.
- #5: Now install a clean filter in the turbine system. For this no special tool is required, you can do it by hand.
- #6: Wash the filter and hose in warm and soapy water to make it clean. Then dry it and put it back in the right place. These filters are more durable and cost-effective and can be cleaned before replacing.
- #7: The air cap should be compatible with your painting job. So match the air cap with the fluid you are using, whether it is thin or thick. Normally 1.3 mm air cap is used
- #8: When you are to change the nozzle, remove the needle first. But don’t use a wrench for this purpose because it may damage the needle. First, remove the control fluid knob and spring, then pull the trigger back a little and slip the needle outback of the gun.
- #9: When the needle is removed safely, remove the air cap and then the nozzle.
- #10: Remember that, the air cap, needle, and nozzle are a set. Don’t change and adjust them separately as they are part and parcel.
- #11: Adjust the fluid control knob; there is more than one knob in some guns but Fuji spray guns have one knob on the back. So turn this fluid control knob clockwise to minimize the range of motion and decrease output and turn it anticlockwise to increase output.
- #12: Adjust the fan pattern; there is another knob for controlling the fan. It is a little oversized and blue anodized knob placed on the side of the gun. If you adjust the position of this knob, it will make a great difference in the fan pattern.
- #13: Variable speed control dial; this is a very simple knob on the front of the turbine, which you can adjust for spray coating. If you want a thicker coating, it needs more pressure. You just need to turn the dial up till the finished atomizer for a smooth gun finish.
- #14: Ground control; always adjust the turbine unit on the ground. If you adjust it while keeping on the workbench, it won’t give good results.
- #15: Finally, double-check all the adjustments and test on a piece of fine craft paper. When the hose, nozzle, needle, fan, and fluid all are rightly adjusted, your Fuji HVLP spray gun is ready to use.
How To Use Fuji HVLP Spray Gun?
When you have adjusted the Fuji spray gun, you should learn how to use the Fuji HVLP spray gun in the proper way.
- #1: Choose the paint which you like and then mix it well
- #2: Take a strain to filter the paint well before spraying
- #3: Fill ¾ part of the cup of your Fuji HVLP gun with this prepared paint
- #4: Fix the cup to your gun tightly after filling with this cleaned paint
- #5: Make sure the weather is fine and the workstation is rightly selected
- #6: Prepare the surface well before applying a coat of primer
- #7: Sand it well to remove all residues and smudges on the surface
- #8: Apply a test spray on paper to check the proper adjustment of the gun and the result of the paint
- #9: If you find some problems and with no good result, adjust the air pressure, fan, nozzle, and needle again to make it work right
- #10: Set the direction of the fan according to the type of paint
- #11: Now adjust the paint volume using the knob under the fan
- #12: You can screw the knob out making more space for the paint and receiving thick coverage
- #13: Now your Fuji HVLP Spray Gun is ready to use and spray paint
- #14: Spray paint coat to the surface and make the surface smooth, even, and glittering
How To Clean Fuji HVLP Spray Gun
After spraying with a Fuji HVLP spray gun, you need to clean your gun to keep it safe and maintain its working for the next use.
I have analyzed three levels, following which you can clean your gun well to make it fit for proper working.
- #1: First of all, empty the cup of your Fuji spray gun thoroughly, and wash it using a rag soaked in a solvent (water, oil, thinner, etc.).
- #2: Now open the valve of fluid control
- #3: Fill the solvent in the cup almost ½ and spray out until you get clear solvent comes out from the gun
- #4: Wash the air cap, the tip of the nozzle, and needle with this rag soaked in a solvent
If you want to clean it thoroughly by disassembling your Fuji spray gun, you will have to follow the pattern given;
- #1: Complete level 1 cleaning and separate the air hose
- #2: Have a tub and fill it with the proper solvent
- #3: Unscrew all the parts like a fluid knob, needle, spring, nozzle, etc. carefully
- #4: Keep the most sensitive parts separate from the other parts so they may not damage
- #5: Take proper brushes, scrub each part separately when it is soaked
- #6: When they are clean, wash them again with fresh clean solvent
- #7: Dry all the parts of the gun and reassemble them according to the instruction in the manual.
This level of cleaning is adopted when you have to change the paint type, as you are spraying water-based paint and then all of sudden you want to spray oil-based paint.
- #1: First perform all the steps of level 1
- #2: Take some denatured alcohol and wash the fluid passages
- #3: Wait for a few minutes and let it work
- #4: It will clean the hose, nozzle, cup, and needle making it ready for the other type of paint
An Important Note;
The solvent you are using should be toxic solvent, use warm water, soap water, lacquer thinner, and a brush to clean your gun. But be careful while using this type of solvent as it may harm the lungs, skin, and eyes.
So take all necessary precautionary measures like gloves, glasses, shoes, etc. to protect yourself from the dangerous effects of the toxic solvent.
Here is a detailed video on how you can easily clean your fuji Hvlp spray gun.
There are different types of guns available in the market manufactured by different companies. Fuji Spray gun is very famous and popular with all painters and professionals. Learning how to paint with a Fuji HVLP Spray gun is very easy.
I have described concisely in this article, how to set up a Fuji HVLP Spray gun and how to clean the Fuji HVLP Spray gun.
If you use a Fuji spray gun, you can handle it easily without any difficulty. If you still have any questions regarding the use, adjustment, and cleaning of the Fuji spray gun, let me know in the comment box.